EMET 4.0 Beta Released

No replies
RaT
RaT's picture
SX High Council

Just in the case that you've been living under a rock, I wanted to let people know that EMET 4.0 Beta has been released at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38761

Here are some of the changes (from rapid7):
SSL certificate pinning - allows mitigation of "man-in-the-middle" attacks by detecting situations where the Root CA for an SSL certificate has changed from the "pinned" value configured in EMET. For example, you can configure EMET to say "There is only a single trusted root CA that should ever be issuing certificates for acme.com, and if I see a certificate for any FQDN ending in .acme.com from a different CA, report this as a potential man-in-the-middle attack. You can pin the CA for entire domains or for individual certificates. EMET 4.0 beta ships with pinned certificates for login.live.com and login.microsoftonline.com, but administrators can add their own.
Enhanced ROP mitigation. There is a never-ending arms race between OS and application developers on the one side and exploit developers on the other side. When a new mitigation technique is developed by Microsoft, clever exploit developers work hard to find ways to bypass the mitigation. In the case of ROP mitigations, EMET 3.5 included some basic ROP mitigations that blocked assembly language "return" calls to memory addresses corresponding to known lists of low-level memory management functions in certain DLLs. This rendered a common exploit technique ineffective. However, exploit developers responded with adjusted techniques to bypass EMET's ROP mitigations, such as returning into the memory management code a few bytes beyond the function prologue. I don't have enough time or space to do this fascinating topic justice, but you can read a good overview of ROP exploit techniques here.

EMET 4.0 blocks some of these mitigation bypass techniques, which puts the onus back on exploit developers in this cat-and-mouse game. I'm looking forward to the first white paper detailing how the new mitigations can be bypassed.
Improved logging. With the new and improved EMET notifier agent, EMET 4.0 does a much better job at logging events to the Windows event log. This opens up the possibility of using a centralized event log monitoring systems such as Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2012 to act as an enterprise-wide early detection system for exploit attempts. Imagine having instantaneous alerting any time EMET blocked an attack on any Windows system across the enterprise.

One could also use a free tool like event-log-to-syslog to gather event logs centrally, or even something like Splunk (with universal forwarders) if you don't mind breaking the bank.

Another benefit of centrally logging and analyzing EMET events is it will give you early warning on EMET compatibility problems. Past versions of EMET have been known to cause problems with certain applications, for example I found that the LastPass extension for Chrome needed certain EMET settings disabled in order to run. If you haven't used EMET before in your enterprise, you will definitely want to introduce EMET in a limited rollout before going enterprise-wide via GPO. Note any programs requiring exemption or settings customization and make sure those settings are reflected in the GPO policy.