P0f v2 is a versatile passive OS fingerprinting tool. P0f can identify the operating system on:
- machines that connect to your box (SYN mode),
- machines you connect to (SYN+ACK mode),
- machine you cannot connect to (RST+ mode),
- machines whose communications you can observe.
P0f can also do many other tricks, and can detect or measure the following:
- firewall presence, NAT use (useful for policy enforcement),
- existence of a load balancer setup,
- the distance to the remote system and its uptime,
- other guy's network hookup (DSL, OC3, avian carriers) and his ISP.