Quit Smoking Cigarettes, Fuck Cigarettes.

3 replies [Last post]
numb
numb's picture
Apprentice

For the past 7 years or so, I have been smoking 1 pack a day on average. Since my somewhat recent relocation, I have been experiencing what I believe to be sinus pressure headaches. At first I attributed these headaches entirely to the change in both weather and elevation. After a week or so, I began to notice that every fucking time I took a drag from a cigarette, my head would start pounding. I haven't smoked a cigarette in a few days and have been experiencing what seem to be symptoms of withdrawal which basically include, but are not limited to, the following: intermittent headaches, much coughing up of nasty brown shit, increased trouble breathing, an obvious reduction in my ability to cope with stress, and an increase in misplaced aggression.

As time passes, these symptoms are slowly decreasing and I feel a gradual return to my normal functioning state. Most importantly, my headaches have subsided and I am once again able to breathe comfortably. The worst part is this perpetual shit taste in the back of my throat. Gum helps. I now chew roughly 1 pack of gum a day. Trident layers for life. Tongue

My original plan was to wait for the new year, as quitting cigarettes was priority one on my list of resolutions for the new year. Then the realization hit, I don't need some bullshit celebratory day to quit smoking cigarettes, all I need is the desire to live and the resolve to better my life here and now... and an inhaler certainly didn't hurt any. I plan on updating this as more time passes. Hopefully I won't relapse like your stereotypical heroin addict. I don't believe I will.

Assuming that I spend an average of $5 per pack (which is not the case, I almost always spend more) and that I have smoked 1 pack of cigarettes per day for the past 7 years (which is also not the case, I often smoke more, especially when consuming alcohol) here are the numbers:

7 x 365 = 2,555
2555 x 5 = $12,775

$12,775 on cigarettes over the past 7 years... That is, without any doubt in my mind, reason enough to quit. Let alone the health risks and the fact that both my grandparents on one side of my family died very slow and painful deaths from smoking related ailments which leads me to assume that I am genetically predisposed to eventually die in a similarly awful manner attributed to smoking.

My contact information is invalid at the moment.