For those of you hackers...please give a response

7 replies [Last post]
COSCstudent
COSCstudent's picture
Apprentice

I am thinking of setting up my own personal e-mail server just to play with to see how everything works. I can't really decide what platform I want to do it on nor can I think of what software to use for the e-mail server itself. I have a full-license copy of Windows Server 2003 or 2008 and have access to most versions of Linux (of course, like everyone else). I know that Windows Server 2003 and 2008 both have built-in capabilities to create your own e-mail server without purchasing Microsoft's Exchange Server, but then I start thinking of this as a security thing. Which OS am I going to base this off of? What antivirus softwares are out there that can be installed on any of those platforms that are free? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on this, so please let me know what you guys think. I especially want to hear from you guys who are big into security/hacking because you guys will be able to give me insight into what would probably be the most secure way to do this. Even if you want to send me an e-mail instead of posting here, go ahead. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I encourage you guys to post here though because if someone else is looking for more information regarding this subject, they might be wanting to have some answers as well. Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

"You can never excel at something you don't truly enjoy."
- Jack Nicklaus