I don't understand - Question for MRI Folk

22 replies [Last post]
Kayin
SX Retired

How is it that you learn just enough about a computer to repair it if it's broken and then stop?

I just don't understand how you can get to the point of "I repair computers" and then just not give a shit about anything else regarding them?

Your job has to suck some serious fat ass. You get paid shit, have to deal with stupid people who don't like you and don't trust you, have to work FOR people who don't like you and don't listen to you, and on top of all that you can't possibly have that much variation in your job.

I mean really - how many scenarios are actually that challenging? I mean you just hit the point of diminishing returns so quickly that it's honestly more cost effective to just buy a new system or backup - wipe - restore.

In all honesty you don't really even 'repair' computers. You don't repair hardware, you identify a broken part and then replace it. You don't repair software, you identify what's broken and then replace that. Half the time you can't even identify it because it's not your software or system in the first place. You're completely dependent on someone else's piece of shit. If it is actually a piece of shit - then you bitch and moan but don't do anything about it.

I just can't possibly imagine - with all the other awesomeness in the computer realm - that you land on computer repair and actually enjoy it enough to not want to know anything else about computers.

Can you explain this to me? I just don't get it.

-K