I want to build a new gaming rig of doomy awesomeness

3 replies [Last post]
scud830
scud830's picture
Neophyte

So I have never built a new computer, but I have repaired mostly every computer component besides replacing a motherboard. I have been working on 2 computers in the past week, one with blown capacitors on the graphics card and one with an unknown problem still.

Basically, I know my way around the case. The only hard parts I foresee is making the wiring all sexy and clean and actually knowing what wiring to buy (knowing is half the battle).

Now onto details.

I want to spend no more than a grand on this thing. I have two extra TR2 430 W Thermaltake PSU laying around which may be usable (depending on components/power usage) one of which I am trying to sell for like 20-30 bucks on ebay.

I am an nVidia and Intel user. I have heard (and sort of seen) that these two brands together can be more expensive than AMD and Radeon products (Which i know nothing about). I would prefer to stick to my faves, but that is negotiable if I can get more bang for my buck.

Also I have a case that I can salvage from my piles of computers in my room. It's a midsized tower and from just glancing at it, it looks to be 19 x 17 x 7.5 (L X H X W) (okay I measured Smile ).

I have a spare 250 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm drive laying around as well. Additionally I have 2 big 4.5" cooling fans available. I own 2X500 GB WD Externals for data storage so I think I'd be good on HD's. I am a mechanical engineer (year 3 in college) and can fabricate decently if need be.

I am interested in learning about liquid cooling for my new rig.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me pick out parts for this thing because I have never done this from ground up before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
- RHINO