GoDaddy's pain in the *** SSL regulations

2 replies [Last post]
codeboy
NeoApprentice

So today I thought hey I have a new site I will find a cheap SSL cert and buy it (found one for $6.75/yr 5 yrs) bought it did the csr got my certs. logged into my godaddy hosting through ssh. logged in with the credential they gave me....
typed
cd /usr/bin/

went to the folder

typed
su openssl -des1 -out (mycertificate).key 2048
I expect a passwd line to pop up....
Server says permissions denied....
I am like wtf...
I call up GoDaddy, they say we dont allow 3rd party SSL Certs... I am like wtf, they procede to tell me that my only choice to to purchase a ucc cert from them for $89.99 and that it will cover 5 domains...
I buy it and it automatically uses up 1 of the 5 domain registrations for a bogus domain that points nowhere to make the hosting folder organization easier... great I have four left I point them to www.mydomain1.com, www.mydomain2.com, and www.mydomain3.com and leave the last one for later use...

Now I am working on building my shopping cart in the CMS admin console. then all at once I get a domain is not currently available message I am like wtf... I refresh the page a few times still same message... I switch to the frontend page loads no problem...
I call godaddy and he tells me he can even access my frontend that I must have changed my dns settings, I am like no I havent... after 10 minutes he is like oh your new ssl is creating you a new dedicated IP and needs to add it to the DNS records, so I am like ok so what is the new IP address I need to add to the DNS records (mysite have offsite DNS at sodc1.mydomain.com and sodc2.mydomain.com. he is like IDK the server can take up to 48 hours to issue the new IP...
(at this point I am remaining calm while wanting to scream and swear and the man on the other end of the phone.)

So I sit here and think to myself (is there hosting with servers in the US, Europe, and Asia so my customers dont have latency really worth me having moved from hosting it myself?) and after thinking for a bit I decide to continue playing these games since otherwise I will be out even more money in the products that are not refundable...

At least I can host and infinite number of websites on their server....
but since they have made my life a pain in the ****in **s here is my proposal....
anyone that wants free hosting I will add your site to my hosting plan (you keep it in your dns so you have control of your domain ownership) and we put a few hundred thousand sites on one hosting plan that is supposed to be Unlimited just to see if there is a limit to Unlimited

Anyone down for that?

Given the right hardware there is nothing a line of code cannot do that a human can, given that a human takes the time to develop the hardware and make the code- codeboy-