Need help with my home network

6 replies [Last post]
MannyL
SX VIP

I recently moved in with my fiance and my computers are required to be in the basement. This is causing me wireless problems because we know that your wireless router should be at the high point of the house. So now I am asking the collective for help in solving my problem without spending much money.

Network Hardware-

Optimum provided Smart Router - 2.4 and 5 Ghz (some dlink model)
Netgear WNR3500 V1 used to have Sam Knows on it but flashed to DDWRT -2.4 and 5 Ghz
Dlink DI-645 Router 2.4 Ghz only

Dlink dumb 8 Port "gigabit" switch

In my area the 2.4 Ghz spectrum is pretty full. Unfortunate for me some of my laptops will only work on the 2.4 ghz spectrum and that's causing problems. Also my sleep monitor on the 2nd floor of the house needed internet access and only supports 2.4 ghz.

What I think I can do is setup a network bridge on the 5ghz spectrum from the Optimum Smart Router in the basement to the Netgear WNR3500. This I think would allow my 2.4 Ghz devices to work better I assume because the SNR ratio should be higher.

My secondary goals are to stop the Optimum Smart router from assigning IP's to my network so I can have one of my Ubuntu systems take over the role as a DNS and DHCP server.

And to setup a guest network that ONLY has internet access on a seperate subnet if possible that when I have guests over or I am trying to clean a computer for a friend or coworker any malware or viruses can not reach my systems.

I have tried the guide at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge but have had no success.

Any help will be appreciated.