MAC address/IP Masking

8 replies [Last post]
chessoriginal
Neophyte

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the SX community and I'm an upcoming computer programmer/network "enthusiast" in college in need of some advice/direction in working on networks while leaving a minimal footprint. First of a little background on my environment.

My college authenticates all users using the Cisco Clean Access Agent (If you know anything about bypassing clean access please let me know as well), which sadly requires you to log in with your university credentials. Within the school network, there is also a separate housing network, which runs independently of the main network. In the housing network there is both wireless and wired connections. I have found out that if you connect to the wireless network and then to the wired network, you get different IP addresses each time for each connection, even though you are using the same login credentials (which is what I use to get around rapidshare and sites that monitor IP addresses). I have also managed to scan the wired network and was able to come up with a handsome list of MAC addresses, IP addresses and computer names of everyone on the network as well as that of the Cisco router. At the moment I don't know what to do with that information. Now, the housing network has pretty much blocked all incoming connections so it is impossible to do any torrenting, which is a big disappointment.The main campus, on the other hand, does not block incoming connections so programs such as uTorrent can work.

I have found out that if I take the Cat5 cable from a computer in the library, which is on the campus network, and plug it into my laptop, I can actually connect to the network without having to enter my credentials into Clean Access. This is were my question comes in; How can I change my MAC address while I'm connected to the network so that my computer isn't logged? My wireless card is the Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. I can only change it's MAC address with patched drivers in BackTrack, but then I can't access the internet with the patched driver. My wired card is the Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller, which I am really interested in being able to manipulate the MAC address.

I would really appreciate any help in this. I'm not just looking for someone to do the work for me but I want someone to show me how to do it so that I can learn in the process.

Thanks